Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Jayden's Strides for Life

This post is going to be a bit off topic, but it's a subject very close to my heart.

You may have noticed my March for Babies button above my blog posts. The baby pictured is Jayden during one of his many stays at Mercy Children's Hosptial in Kansas City. Jayden was born with a number of congenital heart defects and had to undergo open heart surgery at just one week of age. The surgery went well and he appeared to be recovering without complication. However, two days after surgery, his little body went into shock. He had to be resucitated twice and received multiple blood transfusions. This episode caused permanent damage to Jayden's liver.

Jayden now has Chronic Progressive Liver Disease called Biliary Cirrhosis, which eventually will make him go into Liver Failure. Jayden has a PELD (Pediatric End-Stage Liver Disease) score of 20 which is pretty high. He has been placed on the Liver Transplant list because without a transplant, little Jayden will not survive.

However, if you ever meet little Jayden, he is the absolute happiest baby ever and totally cute to boot!! You can't help but smile when you see him. And his parents are amazing, too. His mother is so strong and has such a calm presence about her despite the trials and tribulations her family has endured. She is a shining example of dignity and grace if I have ever seen one.



As you can see, this family has deeply touched my heart. I am honored to be able to walk on behalf of Jayden's Strides for Life to raise money for March of Dimes. I shared this story here, because I am hoping you will help me help others by sponsoring me in this walk.

I'm asking that each of my readers give up one cup of gourmet coffee or a combo meal and donate the money saved to make a change in the lives of others. 20 people giving just $5 will help me make my goal. Just click on the button at the top of the page to make a secure donation. All proceeds go directly to March of Dimes to help support and educate families of preemies, NICU babies and those with special needs.

Thanks so much for your support!!!

You can follow Jayden's Story here
You can find out more about the March for Babies here

No comments:

Post a Comment