Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Skinny On Me

Some of you may be wondering just how fat is this so-called "fat chick"? Well she's definitely not one of those skinny chicks who wears a size 6 and is bitching about 5 vanity pounds she needs to lose. Nope. This "fat chick" is certifiably fat.

To put it into medical terms, this fat chick is "morbidly obese". In layman's terms, she's the one you see out in public and say to your friend, "If I ever get that big, do me a favor. Just harpoon me and put me out of my misery."

I can say I never thought I'd be this big. I was very active as a child. I played every sport I could in elementary school. In junior high, I played volleyball and was on the cheerleading team. In high school, I participated in marching band and cheerleading. I was also very active in gymnastics from kindergarten through high school. It was only my love of gymnastics and tumbling that I participated in cheerleading. I would have lived at the gym if I could have, that's how much I loved it. I still enjoy watching although am now too fat to participate or do any of the things I used to be able to do.

After high school though, without all the extra curriculars to keep me active, excercise went to the wayside. That's when my bad eating habits began to show as extra weight on my hips and thighs. I still wasn't fat per se, but was no longer sporting the muscular,athletic body I had in high school. I had slipped into the overweight/mildly obese category. By my mid twenties I was moderately obese and by age 30 I was severely obese, teetering on the brink of being morbidly so.

There are many times since high school when I have tried to lose the weight. I've ran the gammet of gimmicks from diet pills, fad diets, more reputable diet programs, joined gyms, etc. Sure I had success with some of them, losing up to 30 pounds at a time. However, I always relapsed into old ways and those pounds I'd lose would come back and bring friends. It was the classic yo-yo.

But this time is going to be different. This time I'm approaching it in a whole new way and with new tools. Here are a few of them:
Lap-Band - Ajustable Gastric Band
Hungry Girl - Great Recipe Swaps
The Daily Plate - Online Food & Excercise Journal

Lastly I'll be using this blog to journal my journey, or my metamorphosis, to becoming a healthier, happier me!

No comments:

Post a Comment