Sunday, February 14, 2010

Ivory Lace

I've been thinking about all the things I want to do and want to wear when I am skinny. The things have ranged from pretty underthings from Victoria's Secret, to a pair of Buckle jeans that I've heard so many people rave about, etc. But the one thing I really want to wear is my wedding gown.

My wedding gown was purchased when I was just 18 years old. I had spent the day at Wendy's Bridal with my mom and best friend trying on dress after dress looking for the perfect one. I had probably tried on about 10 with no luck when my mom found an ivory gown on the discontinued rack and asked me to try it on. It was nothing like the others I had tried on that day. It was lacy and poofy, but once I had it on, it was obvious that it was "the dress". So we bought it.

Well, life didn't turn out to be the fairy-tale I envisioned. Much of that is due to choices that I made. I ended up eloping at the age of 22. I don't even have a picture of the day and was divorced at 25.

Then, in February 2004, I met Mr. Right, a.k.a. "The One". I knew he was "The One" after our first date, which was much like a scene from a romantic movie: You know...closing down the restaurant and kissing good-night in the cold drizzle of rain under the lone street lamp next to my car.

^^^^^^^^^That's what it was like^^^^^^^^^

Not quite a year later we had decided to get married. However, he had decided on a major career change from being a deputy for the sheriff department to joining the U.S. Army. His departure date for basic training was quickly approaching, so once again it was a quick courthouse wedding to which we both wore business suits. On the bright side, not only were our both of our families present, but we have photos of the ceremony as well! :)

Mr. Right and I have always said we'll have a "real" wedding one day. We're not sure when that one day will be since we were hoping to be able to do it for our 5 year anniversary...but that has come and gone. So maybe for our ten year anniversary. Or maybe we'll do it when I am actually able to fit into the beautiful gown that awaits to be worn. Or maybe when I'm 38 to honor the fact I've held on to it for 2 decades!! LOL

Of all the things I am looking forward to wearing and doing once the weight is off, being able to have my dad walk me down the aisle and say "I'd do it all over again" to the man of my dreams in the dress of my dreams is what I am looking forward to most.

No comments:

Post a Comment