Sunday, April 4, 2010

Hit by a Mack truck...

twice!  That's how I feel today.  I'm definitely hurting worse today than I was yesterday.  My whole left side hurts.  I get a sharp pain where my port is, like a muscle spasm.  It also hurts to take a deep breath.  It defintiely feels bruised and sore.

I had to go from the lower dose prescribed to the higher dose last night so I could sleep.  I've been sleeping on the couch so I can be propped up and not have so much difficulty getting up.  I'm afraid if I lie flat in bed, I won't be able to get up.

So when does the pain start to get better instead of worse?  Is what I'm feeling par for the course?

On the bright side, I'm still not hungry!!  What a grea feeling not to be starving all the time or thinking about food.  I can start full liquids today and really not craving anything.  Sipping Crystal Light pink lemonade and water alternately and am content with that.

6 comments:

  1. You are probably having gas pains which I had in a major way. My chest felt tight, my upper left shoulder area was pain filled and it sucked. During surgery they inflate your abdomen with lots of gas and when they sew you back up, lots is trapped inside. The gas moves around and can cause a lot of pain. I recommend Gas-X chewables and using a heating pad to help dissappate the gas. It will help loosen you up and the gas pains wll subside. Best of luck to you and take it easy!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't have a lot of pain but kept taking the pain meds for abut 3 full days. Like Steph said, a lot of people found a heating pad to really help and also Gas-X. Walking around also helps.

    Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, I've been walking a lot to disipate the gas. Just much more sore today. Meds are kicking in and need a nap...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear that you are hurting more today, but that isn't too surprising as others pain kicked in later as well.

    From my experience and from reading others, I would say that the majority of us start feeling much better somewhere between days 3-5. But for sure by the end of the first week!

    If you still aren't hungry, that's fantastic! Go with it because the hunger will kick back in soon enough!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stay ahead with the pain meds and keep sipping. I started turning the corner day 4 and day 6 I was much better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a lot of pain too. It was almost all the way gone by two weeks post op. Hang in there, it will get better.

    ReplyDelete